The building is currently one of the wings of the Tamási Áron Cultural Center. Since the 1944 Holocaust, they are either empty or have other (non-ecclesiastical) functions. In the 70’s, the bauxite mine company utilized it for the theater room by building the new building around the synagogue, leaving only its façade visible, according to the contemporary guides, saving it from the destruction. From the Kisfaludy Street you can not see the value of the modern building.
The neo-Gothic synagogue was built according to József Tarek’s plans for the construction of the Sümeg building, and the frescoes were painted by a master called Rosenfeld. The inauguration ceremony took place on September 13, 1863. At the turn of the century, the Jews of Tapolca expanded their institutions, and in 1905 the synagogue was renovated, according to the expectations of János Schadl. The female gallery and the organ have been enlarged.
The inhabitants of the Árpád Age in the XVI. It was Roman Catholics until the 20th century. The Calvinists and the Evangelists probably appeared at the end of the last century, and belonged to the Jewish denomination in the 18th and 19th centuries. They were present from the century.
The once-large Jewish population maintained school and synagogue as well as faith associations. Second World War not only took their lives (memorials, commemorative memorials remind the posterity), but also destroyed their synagogue.
Starting from the last few years, there are also many small churches among the population.